Friday, February 24, 2006

A Genetic Account of The Stylings of Ideas Man (With a Husserlian Shout Out to Joe)

Perhaps you've been wondering why after years of keeping my ideas to myself, I've decided to inflict them on the Web. I was going to initially write, "inflict them on more people" but this wouldn't be technically true, since I have been inflicting my views on my students for years, and they outnumber my meager readership by far. But why have I finally decided to inflict my ideas (and, more frighteningly, my stylings) on others?

The answer (and this is the most frightening thing of all) is that I was inspired by my mother-in-law's blog: http://www.purplebonkers.com

To be more precise, I was inspired by how seriously she is taking her various blogs as a money making enterprise. To be painfully precise, I was inspired by the thought of her leading my poor, impressionable nephews in a karaoke version of "Who Let the Dogs Out." Who let them out indeed? You did, Mary Ellen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find your blog very amusing. Here is the link to another of my blogs: http://www.writingup.com/blog/melee3
I have made nearly $8 on that blog. So there.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by "genetic account"? Can you provide some examples?

Ideas Man, Ph.D. said...

Wait, who is anonymous? Is this the transcendental ego? If so, I apologize for playing fast and loose with Husserlian terminology (which, granted has little to do with the point of this post).

If this is a serious question from someone off in cyberspace, then I'm sorry that whatever terms your search engine used pointed you to my lame-ass blog, but take a look at Chapter 4 of Edmund Husserl's Cartesian Meditiations (there's also a discussion of genetic analysis somewhere in the Ideas and it forms the cornerstone for the regressive inquiry in the Crisis). But I digress. . .

If you had in mind something actually involving genes or genetic and not the role of temporality in the ontology of ideas, I am sorely sorry.