Monday, February 27, 2006

Professors are People Too

Some days, teaching can be extremely draining. The effort of putting yourself out in front of all those people and being "on" for such an extended time can be exhilirating, but can also be difficult to come down from. But on days when students take out their stress on you ... well,

  Posted by Picasa

You get the idea. I do think that part of the problem is that students don't recognize that professors are people too. If you invest a good deal of time into a course and (say, for example) work a good deal on a study sheet which you believe accurately reflects what a student should have learned, it isn't particularly encouraging to be told that it in no way bears on what they think they've learned. While this sort of revelation might, at times, be necessary, it is made worse when said students don't bother couching these problems in polite discourse, perhaps since they don't realize that:

  Posted by Picasa
Professors are people too.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across this blog, and I must say that you seem like a really hard-working and decent guy who cares about his students.

Ideas Man, Ph.D. said...

Thanks anonymous. You seem like the sort of person who would know such things. Keep on stumbling.

Jnet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jnet said...

Ideas Man,
Although I have never been enrolled in any of your classes, I still think you are a wonderful teacher, and I have learned a lot from you. If any of your students don't realize how privileged they are to have you as their prof, it is their loss. Besides, as Anonymous and I were saying earlier, he's just a spoiled brat who's probably only there because of an athletic scholarship. Philosophy (or any other form of thinking for that matter) is obviously way over his head, no matter whom's is doing the teaching.

Jnet said...

Sorry I deleted earlier comment because I forgot to say "whom's". I just had to say it.

Anonymous said...

To whoms it may concern:

I just stumbled across this blog, but I think you all should know: "Whoms" is a perfectly fine word. I've used it in many papers. But I don't know what "whom's" means.

HE

Anonymous said...

Boo Hoo Hoo. Do the students also not know that you are a candy ass?

Ideas Man, Ph.D. said...

Of course the students know I'm a candy ass. That's why they're able to walk all over me.