Friday, March 12, 2010

What is a moment?

The moment is when we discover the difference between expectation and awaiting.

The moment is the line that resolves the possibilities of the future (dynamis), into action (energeia) on the basis of what is discovered to have been (ergon).

Auf Deutsch: An Augenblick, which means, of course the blink of an eye but in the old sense of one "unit" of seeing not in the sense of moving your eyes (that's just how long a blink is).

What it is not is a moment of self-presence, nor is it something which mimics an atemporal form (as when Plato calls time a moving image of eternity --- is that right? I think so --- I should check these things).

In my dissertation, I talked about a different understanding of presence that I find in Heidegger (particularly in Chapters Four and Six of Division II) and that I think Celan develops -- I call it the counter-present, and it's what I think Derrida develops in his writing about the repeatable now that links up his early and late works.

The moment is the protest against the future and the redemption of the past.

Ask me anything

No comments: